Tuesday, January 28, 2014

DIY Upcycle Slip Dress



I love the look of slip dresses under other garments but will not pay the large price tags.  So I scoured my closet and found a dress, now too large for me-even arm holes were showing my under garments. I nominated it for a project. Look for something with an under slip at thrift or your closet that may have a lining (mine was polyester) with some sort of lace or flouncy feature at the bottom.  If you find a slip, you could easily dye it and attach lace.

I included some images of other upcycles with the slip under these garments.  I converted the slip to hi low hem line-love this-but you may not want to do this.  It is black-we talked about colors before, and is a good psychic protection under other garments. I also added some lace that I found at Walmart at the collar, which peeks out under other garments.

I was having trouble with my machines, two out of three are now out of commission, and used the old trusty Kenmore-which has issues of its own but was my only option yesterday.  I met with  much frustration but did not give up.  If I can continue with my craft through these moments-sometimes they result in destruction and loss of a garment for that purpose-but if I can just keep going without breaking something they always result in some sort of fantastic break through.  I will say here as an artist, and I am not alone, some of my greatest design breakthroughs or discoveries come from my mistakes.  It is like finding your way in a blizzard, or when you are lost somewhere, or charting new territory, and finding your way is personal.  Sometimes the way can not be guided by anyone else.  It is your path and you need to keep walking!  So with that I will say I stayed close to my higher powers and got through it.  Not totally happy with the way it hangs but convinced myself it did not matter, I did not need to wear it as a garment and could delegate it as a "slip," an undergarment, and work on perfecting the next one.  Let me also say that I am a perfectionist, even though I believe in wabi-sabi-perfection in the imperfection.  Wow, what a contradiction.  In any event, don't use your favorite garments to try something you are unsure about the first go around, or realize that you CAN accept if things do not go exactly as planned.

Sticking through the creation process is spiritual in nature to me.  I stay close and realize that I am being guided and that the errors or difficulties I am having are part of the process to learn what I need to learn.  When I am determined to continue to accept my precious gifts of discovery and major breakthroughs in my art and finally get there, it is always well worth the journey.  I have a giddy kid like reaction, jumping up and down, telling people who really don't care or who don't understand my craft and how amazing this event was.  Regardless, they rejoice with me and sometimes share my enthusiasm genuinely.  So keep on sewing, or doing whatever it is you are passionate about, and realize it is a process to something great that will be given just to you!

Upcycle Slip Dress Tutorial:

Slip Dress under upcycle of turtleneck sweater dress (I hate things around my neck) with pieces from another project with a sweater that I appliqued into a sun-part of my spirituality.  I appear to be rocking out-could't resist.

FINISHED PROJECT.

Original garment

Slip underneath.  I cut away the top garment, which was like a sweater weave, leaving a little wabi-sabi edge to later sew down for tattered look.

I left little less than 1/4 inch.

I just cut away sides at top where attached a little closer.

Cut away the back how you will.  I matched it to the front.  You can see top overlay folded for another project another day at top.  Oh, I will use it-you can count on it!

I pondered to hi low.  I could have detached the whole skirt and the reattached but seemed like too much work, so I pinched material in front when trying on how I wanted it to hand, pinned and sewed.  This is quick, but next time I will detach the bottom and then reattach hi lo because I did not like the way it hung-blame it on the polyester and the Kenmore.


 After I took the sides in-it was too large, especially arm holes.  I again would do this differently.  I tapered stitch back into the side seam and it hung weird for me, so I would take in arms and marry to garment quickly, letting the garment hang looser rather than worrying about a tailored fit.  Then, as above, I went over the seams with denim thread (Walmart) so it would lay flat and look fun.

Used denim thread to sew down the material left when cutting other garment.

Found fun double zig zag stitch on Kenmore and sewed it over the hi low adjustment seam in front.  Made it lay flatter and looks fun, I like stuff to stick out sometimes, but would change next time-even though I accepted and embraced it in the garment.

Pin and sew trim to collar, I overlapped on one shoulder and may add embellishments later.  Seriously got this trim in spool for $3.49 at Walmart.  I used less than one spool.

Attached two seams (showing second seam attachment) and then went down middle in that double zig zag on the Kenmore to match the front.

 Now you are all done.  If you don't want hi low, it would be a snap.  I did not worry about extra little material around neck-just attached and it was fine.  I love it and am on the hunt for another one.

I am going to be dying material (natural fibers take dye better) in a DIY soon.  Going to use beets (purple), blackberries (black), and onion skins (pale yellow or off white) to start because of their magickal properties and the associated color magick (see previous posts on color magick in your wardrobe and the fabrics you choose and their magick).  Keep reading to see the DIY Slip Dress layered with some of my previous upcycles.  Happy Sewing!  Keep on the look out for items that you can use for slip dress at thrift stores and garage sales (too cold here for that right now, but maybe not where you live).

Here are examples of the DIY Slip Dress other under Upcycle Garments.  Hey, if you see a project below that you like and would like a tutorial, let me know.  These garments are for sale and can be custom ordered, let me know if you are interested.  I may fall in love with it and keep it, but I can always make you another one and show you how it was done.  Happy Sewing, Later, Colleen

Sorry for messy house, this is just a leopard Gap sweater of slip dress with sweater leggings and booties.

Rear view.  Don't you love how it peeks out under sweater!

Slip shown under upcycle Hollister sweater and pieced together bottom with back tie tunic.  The tunic is longer on the sides but slip just adds to fun.

Slip dress shown here with Cowgirl tunic I constructed marrying a mans shirt,

Side view.  My dog Lilly kept trying to get in the action, what a Diva.

Here I layered it under a top/tunnic upcycle marriage of  a t-shirt with pockets, another top, and my grandmother's broach.

Another view, love it.

Have a great day and realize your beauty!  Really feel it and enjoy your creations and flaunt them.  Be BOLD!  Let me know how it goes and leave comments if you will.  I feel so alone in blogville.  Adios 

No comments:

Post a Comment